About the New York Academy of Sciences
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been committed to advancing science, technology, and society worldwide. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries around the world, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity. The Academy's core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, and increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large. Please visit us online at www.nyas.org.
JOB TITLE: Audio Visual Technician
DEPARTMENT: IT- AV
REPORTS TO: Audio Visual Manager
With other members of the AV Team, manage, operate, and maintain the integrated audiovisual equipment in the NYAS Conference Center and other meeting rooms. Work collaboratively and proactively with internal and external customers and event planners to facilitate their multimedia needs and ensure service delivery to NYAS standards.
- Set up, maintain, and operate the integrated and stand-alone DLP projectors/ displays, sound systems, Audio/video conferencing units, Audio/Video digital recorders and switchers, wireless microphones and PC/Mac computers.
- Provide direct end-user support to clients as an in-room technician, including presentation set up and operation. Assist with file format issues and trouble shoot media files if necessary to ensure successful client presentations.
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot a variety of AV equipment under demanding conditions, while remaining calm and professional.
- Respond to requests from the AV manager, Program managers and meeting coordinators for last minute changes or meeting additions.
- Provide portable audio visual equipment and services to other NYAS meeting rooms. Assist team with proper security, storage, transportation and maintenance of equipment.
- Testing of media including slides and videos prior to event date to ensure quality of the media.
- Prepare post meeting documentation of issues encountered during the course of an event. Account for all inventories before and after each event. Identify, troubleshoot, and document any issues that occur prior to or during meetings.
- Assist with monthly and quarterly inventory and maintenance checks, and forecasting equipment needs.
- Maintain understanding of current and new technology in all areas of A/V.
- Minimum High School graduate/GED. (Associates or Bachelor’s degree a plus)
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in operating, maintaining and troubleshooting in a complex audio visual environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft (7/10) and Apple operating systems, Powerpoint (WIN/OSX), Keynote (OSX) and Quicktime Pro (OSX).
- Basic knowledge of IP networking and troubleshooting required.
- Strong knowledge of Crestron touch panels, Live audio mixing (digital and analog mixers), and AV routing is preferred. Webinar and/or webcasting experience preferred.
- Professional experience with videography, digital photography, and editing is a plus.
- Familiarity with Waves MultiRack, Dugan Automixer and Playback PRO is a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and strong demonstrated commitment to customer satisfaction.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Please note that as this position supports various events that could require support Monday- Sunday. Work hours can range from as early as 5am until as late as midnight (subject to change).
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Capability to lift and transport various pieces of equipment such as speakers, lighting trees and screens up to 70lbs.
Capability to climb ladders and scaffolding
Capability to work in small cramped places
Capability to lift & move excess of 50lbs as is necessary in the normal flow of the day to day work load unassisted and lift and move 100lbs with assistance.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity and equal consideration will be afforded to all personnel actions involving applicants and employees, including (but not limited to) recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, job assignments, working conditions, rates of pay or other compensation, discipline, transfer and layoff, or termination.
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.